Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Deep Love

Holy moly, me oh my, Deep Love has blown my mind! A standing ovation to trump all other standing ovations applauded the climax of a year's worth of hard work, dreams, struggles, and triumphs of Ryan Hayes and Garret Sherwood.

After a mild beginning of morbid reflection and rosebuds Deep Love really got the blood grooving as hot stuff Friedrich, played by Sherwood, took the spotlight on the stage and threw down his love for widowed Constance in a wicked musical collaboration of the best of folk and of New Orleans. Backed by a string quartet, a brass quartet, (I believe) and a rock band set-up that mixed up the all the good stuff with an abundance of percussion things to bang on in the back (including a marimba), the four characters were woven into a delightfully morbid shakespearean-tragedy-like plot that illustrated in detail why Love is soo deep.

Hayes surely put his heart and soul into this folk rock opera. He could be seen singing along from his guitar, as if singing into the souls of the characters-they the puppets and he the master.

Applaud continued for minutes, red roses where revealed and thrown from the front pews of the Rexburg Tabernacle, a fitting end to what will surely be remembered as the best show of 2011- for my oh my, what a world it would be if something else came dashing in to 2011 of the same epic proportions of Deep Love- if such occurs the year will surely explode, stealing 2012's fire.

The sign-up sheets for shirts and CD's were filled to the brims after the show. To close, to give voice to an unvoiced feeling, I say thank you, on behalf of all those who were present, thank you, to all those who worked to produce such a fine event as Deep Love- thank you, for the experience.

We want to see more.

In that I close. 

2 comments:

  1. Twas epic. I agree. I was one of the few lucky ones to get their autographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan is my baby brother and I live all the way across the U.S. in Washington DC. I have to tell you that I am deeply moved to hear all the praise for Deep Love. Ryan and Garrett and such. amazing. musicians! It is a real treat to get to see how they work together and I LOVE hearing about how amazing other people think they are! THanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete