Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Prelude

All of my life I have been trying to avoid Idaho. A dry and desert land, I see it, void of all decent life and culture. Dwelling on the east coast in my younger years and relocating to Washington in the west to pass my adolescence, I have been ingrained with a negative but comical stereotype of all mid- westerners and "middlers" if you will. I have been made to imagine them: A bloated, middled-aged man, with his rifle in one hand and his all-controlling remote control in the other, sitting atop his camouflaged-reclining-with-a-bilt-in-mini-fridge-throne; his shirt folded up to allow his bearded beer belly to breath, his whiskers over-grown, his face eternally sunburned, his neck born red, one eye lazy and the other just works well enough to hunt down the big game of the season. Put simply, Idaho just never appealed to me. I do enjoy a good potato now and then but there are lots of other bulbed vegetables that can easily substitute it. The desert! It never exactly called to me, especially not after my first encounter with it blistered my lips and sunburned my face. It is certainly not my first pick even if it has "blossomed like a rose." And who ever said that God was a cowboy? That he created wide open spaces from the very start? This is clearly erroneous as we can hardly imagine the Garden of Eden as a wide open space, with its abundant produce growing at every which way, if God lives anywhere it certainly is not Wyoming! It is clearly my beloved Washington where he dwells- in the mystical mountain tops of the cascades, in her clear rivers where the salmon swim free, in the Seattle cityscape where the man-made metropolis meshes beautifully with mother nature- that is where God dwells.
So, when I applied to both Provo and Rexburg during my mission, I wasn't exactly looking forward to either one, however the subsidized costs and the undeniable goodness of an all LDS environment I could not resist, and so I went ahead. However, I did not write the required essays for the applications as I desired to focus on my missionary work, and my GPA was a little less than favorable, it was no surprise that BYU Provo denied my entrance and that BYU-I happily accepted me, even allowing me to enter immediately as a  returned missionary.  I studied out my option and prayed about it and received a clear answer that BYU-I was indeed the place for me to go. No battles a good battle that is won against the Lord, so I packed my bags, and prepared.
Brigham Young said "We have been kicked out of the frying-pan into the fire, out of the fire into the middle of the floor." Here I am, in the middle of the floor- and now? And now I am going to love it.  He closes: "and here we are and here we will stay." Here I am and here I will stay.
There is much to be learned in this world, and even more to see; I hope to brighten my view of the mid-west, and increase my respect for small towns. I hope to learn all that I can and do what I can to help others. All the while I will be loving Rexgurg.

5 comments:

  1. Oh George
    I know EXCACTLY how you feel! I was skeptical of the desert region of Provo too. But I have learned that the desert does indeed have it's beauties. Granted, there is a huge, somewhat lush mountain right out my door, so I'm not really in a desert. But the dryness did get to me at first. But yes, there are beauties and if anyone can find beauty anywhere, you can.
    Marianne Bement

    ReplyDelete
  2. George. You were born to blog.

    Love the windmill. I saw the Price Canyon windmills in valley yesterday walking home from campus. When I saw them I knew God loved me. Maybe just because only He knows why I love windmills so much. I don't even know.

    And yes, Rexburg will be a whole new world. But you learn a lot about yourself when you see how you respond to a new world. I'm sure you saw that on your mission, though Rexburg is not nearly as exotic as Brazil. I like what you said that day in King's Teriyaki - small mormon college towns are a culture of their own. So live it up! You'll make it a great time. Rexburg could probably use a George Simons anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. george, "bearded beer belly" has a ring to it. pardon me ladies, i don't mean to gross anyone out, but does that refer to a long chin-beard that covers the belly, or a beard of belly-hair?

    besides that i must agree that washington is absolutely the most amazingly beautiful place i've ever lived. i fell in love this summer. and, the desert here in utah leaves much to be desired, although must also be appreciated. fall colors, for example, are starting to turn, and there are high mountain springs where clean water springs forth from the very rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Springs forth from the very rocks! My my john. Yes, all of God's creations have something to b enjoyed. Yes john, the Bearded beer belly i had in mind was a large bearded made up of belly hair. In rare occasions and cases of unfortunate breeding the long locks of the facial hair my come down so low that it mixes and braids with the very hair of the belly, leaving no room for differentiating between the to. A most unfortunate case indeed.

    Elisa, I have no doubt that God made the windmills just to let us know that he loves us. Windmills= love.

    ReplyDelete